The Banchory Men’s Shed is built.
The final building work was complete at the beginning of this week and the final items, being the fire detectors and hook-ups to the Legion’s fire detection and alarm system, were complete on Thursday.
On the Tuesday, our high-tech sink, water heater, and even more high-tech combined sink plug / strainer / overflow were figured out, risk-assessed and commissioned by our resident ex-Drilling Engineer, who shall remain nameless, under the watchful eye of our resident ex-Process Engineer, who shall also remain nameless.
All was successful and Tuesday’s cups were duly washed up – in hot water! – luxury – and left to dry. Some problems were however encountered with commissioning the new-fangled tea-towel technology, which, not having been washed beforehand simply shed fluff all over the carefully-washed up mugs.
Having been finally emptied just before, on Friday the blue shipping container was finally taken away by a happy Fife farmer, prior to the expiry of its temporary planning permission.
So the Shed is almost ready for occupation – we just need to get final certification and to notify Aberdeenshire Council.
Thanks to everyone.
On Monday we will start painting the ceiling and walls, please come along and help – the premises will be opened starting 9:00 a.m.
Very little left to do now, basically the fire alarm hookup (Thursday) and painting.
In this last couple of weeks we’ve seen the Ames Taping, Electrician Second Fix and Plumber Second Fix all complete.
A new year has arrived, the Builders are back at work after the seasonal break and the end is very nearly in sight.
Progress since last report is:
- The Electrician has completed the main wing runs and installed the fire alarm cable
- The Joiner has installed most of the plaster board
- The 3 door frames are ready for the new doors
- The Joiner has re-positioned the Fire Exit doors from the Legion in the rear corridor
- The step and platform within the room to the back exit door (to the back corridor) are complete
Total progress to the project plan is about 82%
Can we also remind folk that the bi-monthly meeting is THIS THURSDAY, 16th Jan at 10:00 a.m. (not the usual afternoon meeting), upstairs in the Legion. Many thanks
A final progress report and photo for 2019.
The Builders are now on their Christmas break, but last week the internal fit-out continued, with the Electrician and Plumber first-fixes done, the studding complete and all ready in the New Year to start the plasterboarding and ceiling. At present, a builder’s completion date is looking like the end of January, with further work such as painting to be carried out by Shed members.
Progress as at Monday 23rd December 2019
Thank you to all who have contributed in so many ways since the decision back in late 2017 to consolidate the Banchory Men’s Shed at the Legion, with organisation, fundraising, publicity, building and fit-out works of various sorts. 2020 will finally see the opening of the Banchory shed and we wait to see how the shed goes forward with the various activities discussed over the years. Great times are ahead, and we are starting to look at what we do for an official opening ceremony.
We also wish our nearest neighbours well – Stonehaven who opened their fantastic facility earlier this year, and Aboyne who are now also well on with their build.
We wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and a great New Year – especially if you come along to the Shed!
Progress is looking good at about 70%. This week:
- The ramp in the workshop (Phase 1) has been removed
- The corridor walls have been rendered
- The front wall has been built up in readiness for the window frames
- The timber framing and insulation is well on
- The plumber has run pipe (first fix) and will connect up on his next visit
- Electrician has run much cabling (first fix) to be completed when plaster boarding has been installed
Next week the joiner will continue with framing, insulation and then commence with the plaster boarding.
Couple of photos from this morning
Hiding an awful lot of previous work, the concrete floor is now down…
Hmm, seems like a nice pair of goalposts…
Overall progress is approximately 60%. This week has seen:
- Completion of backfilling of the foundations
- Installation of the underfloor insulation and concrete floor
- Complete the foundations for the front fittings
Next week the builder will render the passage wall to match the Legion and commence timber framing of the inside and installing insulation.
More very visible progress. The floor is well under way
The Phase 2 build continues on track. Quite a visible difference this week due to the wall. The work completed was as follows:
- The walls were completed to ceiling level
- The foundations were back-filled ready for under-floor insulation and floor
- The drain is in for the sink
- The door opening between the social area and the “Phase 1” Workshop is broken through and initially boarded up
Next week we expect to see the foundations completed for the front fittings, the underfloor insulation installed and the floor concreted, plus the start of the timber framing
Update – end of the 2nd week
The builders have completed about 25% of the work, and the build is on target:
- Excavation work is complete
- Strip foundations are complete
- The sub-structure is built up to adjoining floor level
- The drain tie-in is installed
- Lighting for the back corridor is complete
- Completed the floor for the new back lobby between the Legion and our room
Next phase of work is to back-fill the foundations and start building the Phase 2 interior / corridor walls