A new year has arrived, the Builders are back at work after the seasonal break and the end is very nearly in sight.
Progress since last report is:
- The Electrician has completed the main wing runs and installed the fire alarm cable
- The Joiner has installed most of the plaster board
- The 3 door frames are ready for the new doors
- The Joiner has re-positioned the Fire Exit doors from the Legion in the rear corridor
- The step and platform within the room to the back exit door (to the back corridor) are complete
Total progress to the project plan is about 82%
Can we also remind folk that the bi-monthly meeting is THIS THURSDAY, 16th Jan at 10:00 a.m. (not the usual afternoon meeting), upstairs in the Legion. Many thanks
A final progress report and photo for 2019.
The Builders are now on their Christmas break, but last week the internal fit-out continued, with the Electrician and Plumber first-fixes done, the studding complete and all ready in the New Year to start the plasterboarding and ceiling. At present, a builder’s completion date is looking like the end of January, with further work such as painting to be carried out by Shed members.
Progress as at Monday 23rd December 2019
Thank you to all who have contributed in so many ways since the decision back in late 2017 to consolidate the Banchory Men’s Shed at the Legion, with organisation, fundraising, publicity, building and fit-out works of various sorts. 2020 will finally see the opening of the Banchory shed and we wait to see how the shed goes forward with the various activities discussed over the years. Great times are ahead, and we are starting to look at what we do for an official opening ceremony.
We also wish our nearest neighbours well – Stonehaven who opened their fantastic facility earlier this year, and Aboyne who are now also well on with their build.
We wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and a great New Year – especially if you come along to the Shed!
Progress is looking good at about 70%. This week:
- The ramp in the workshop (Phase 1) has been removed
- The corridor walls have been rendered
- The front wall has been built up in readiness for the window frames
- The timber framing and insulation is well on
- The plumber has run pipe (first fix) and will connect up on his next visit
- Electrician has run much cabling (first fix) to be completed when plaster boarding has been installed
Next week the joiner will continue with framing, insulation and then commence with the plaster boarding.
Couple of photos from this morning
Hiding an awful lot of previous work, the concrete floor is now down…
Hmm, seems like a nice pair of goalposts…
Overall progress is approximately 60%. This week has seen:
- Completion of backfilling of the foundations
- Installation of the underfloor insulation and concrete floor
- Complete the foundations for the front fittings
Next week the builder will render the passage wall to match the Legion and commence timber framing of the inside and installing insulation.
More very visible progress. The floor is well under way
The Phase 2 build continues on track. Quite a visible difference this week due to the wall. The work completed was as follows:
- The walls were completed to ceiling level
- The foundations were back-filled ready for under-floor insulation and floor
- The drain is in for the sink
- The door opening between the social area and the “Phase 1” Workshop is broken through and initially boarded up
Next week we expect to see the foundations completed for the front fittings, the underfloor insulation installed and the floor concreted, plus the start of the timber framing
Update – end of the 2nd week
The builders have completed about 25% of the work, and the build is on target:
- Excavation work is complete
- Strip foundations are complete
- The sub-structure is built up to adjoining floor level
- The drain tie-in is installed
- Lighting for the back corridor is complete
- Completed the floor for the new back lobby between the Legion and our room
Next phase of work is to back-fill the foundations and start building the Phase 2 interior / corridor walls
Quick update: foundations dug out as per plan last week, this week the concrete for the footings is in place and blockwork started, picture is Tuesday 19th Nov, a.m.
Phase 2 footings
On Tuesday 12th November, we started on the build of Phase 2 – the social area.
The final formalities were completed in the preceding days leaving the coast clear for the builders to move in. The first stage is to remove the current undercroft base area and to dig down to provide the new foundations. The slabs were lifted on Tuesday and breaking up the sub cement began, with this continuing on Wednesday. The design of the existing columns now exposed was inspected and construction details agreed, then excavation continued on the Thursday … and we did find granite, as partially expected! The good news is that enough can be removed to meet the architectural requirements of the new base and floor, so one big what-if is settled.
By Friday late morning, progress was good (photo) with the expectation that most of the foundations will be dug out by the evening.
It’s really heartening to see this work started after several years in the making. We’ll keep you updated
Phase 2 under way – from behind the safety barriers!